Sunday, December 20, 2009

Eight Days of Hanukkah


We just finished the eight days a Hanukkah. It has been a week I will always cherish and remember forever. The story of Hanukkah has become as familiar as most other biblical stories. The Hanukkah songs, authentically sung in Hebrew by the whole family are dear and sweet to me; I even have a favorite. Each night we lit the candles and the spun around with our hands up in the air, suddenly dropping to the ground trying to imitate the dreidel as we sang. The bag of dreidels were pulled out each evening and eventually strewn across the floor around the piles of chocolate coins. נ (Nun) ג (Gimel) ה (Hey) ש (Shin) have become part of my vocabulary. The fried food was tasty and warm. Each night was a party with friend and family. Next year I sure am going to miss this tradition. I will have to find some way to keep it alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment