
It was so different::Switzerland is truly a whole other world::I can’t believe it shares a border with Italy.
I have never been to two such opposite places: one where chaos rules, litter abounds, and a pleasure filled life is one’s only pursuit, to a country where perfection resides, cleanliness, clarity, and silence penetrate. It is the most interesting experience to cross the border and within a twenty minute drive already see the stark contrast. For me, and all the other Italian for that matter, it was a breath of fresh air.
Switzerland is exactly how you imagine it: immaculate roads, trains and train stations without graffiti, perfect house all looking similar (a color of white or beige with green, red or blue shutters). Unlike the Italians the Swiss are quiet, multilingual, and sweet as can be. I didn’t hear a single car honk their horn. Little children played out in the street. Sometimes I would walk on a neighborhood street and not see a single person to be seen.

But the most astonishing thing of all was the train. The trains are soundless. In Italy the wheels screech against the tracks, people beg for money by playing accordions in the cars, and loud voices blare the next stop. In Switzerland I didn’t realize the car had even begun to move. The outside and inside were amazingly clean, lacking any sign of age. No one spoke in the cars and a soft German voice announced the next stop.
Besides the temple and the chocolate, what was my favorite part of Switzerland? My friend Jeffery said it perfectly, “I feel like royalty when I come to this country, because cars actually stop for me to cross the road!” Each time we prepared to cross the road my Italian friends would say, “Watch this!” or “We are going to do it again!”
I am killing myself trying to describe the country perfectly. You must feel, hear, and taste to truly understand. It was really a breath of fresh air just as I was beginning to go crazy with the Italian driving, post office, and ‘leave it for later’ mindsets.

But Switzerland gave me an appreciation for Italy. For the passion and life that exists here. For the love and generosity. For the courage. For the confidence. For the importance of friends and family. Switzerland may seem perfect. But when it comes to what really matters like family, joy, laughter, and pleasure, Italy’s got it down.
No comments:
Post a Comment