Saturday, January 9, 2010

My First Christmas Away From Home

Marie and I in front of her Christmas tree on the 24th after we opened gifts.

I stepped off the airplane into the snowy Germany and my eyes filled up with tears. I was so happy to see Marie. Marie was a foreign exchange student at Ashland High School last year and was my best friend in my French 1 class. It felt so good to be with a person I had known in the states. It was so fun to remember the times we spent together at school and the funny things about Ashland. I loved every minute of being with her.

I arrived at the Wasem house on the 24th and loved seeing a freshly decorated Christmas tree. The Christmas excitement and spirit echoed throughout the home. Marie’s Grandparents came over to the house in the evening just in time to walk to church with us. We listened to a Christmas sermon given by the pastor (listened is the key word because I didn’t understand anything) in a beautiful, old little church in their neighborhood. Even though it was freezing cold outside everyone in the town walked to church and walked home after the meeting.

At home Marie’s Mother treated us to a delicious dinner of potatoes, salad, and bread. After dinner was cleaned up, Grandmother brought out a HUGE plate filled with dozens of homemade cookies. She must have been working hard all afternoon because there were more than ten different kinds of delicious cookies on the platter piled high. While sitting around the table in the glow of the lamp we began to open gifts, sneaking a cookie every once in a while. The Wasem family was too kind to me giving me beautiful and thoughtful gifts such as a travel kit and a guide book to Berlin.

Christmas morning the family slept in and for lunch we met up with the cousins, aunt, and uncles at a Greek restaurant. After lunch we drove to the Grandmother’s house where instead of being greeted with cookies, we were greeted with five different kinds of pies. The whole day was spent eating, talking, and relaxing on the couch.

The highlight of my Christmas day was talking with my family. The Wasems let me call my family in Oregon and I was able to talk to them while they were all around the Christmas tree. I was sweet to hear their voices.

My German Christmas was very different from Christmas in the states, but I still loved and enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you Wasem family for taking me in like a daughter.

Marie, me, and Eva (Marie's twin sister)

No comments:

Post a Comment