Friday, January 22, 2010

Berlin Day 3

Just to be brutally honest our second day in Berlin was tragic. Nothing worked out the way it should have. Marie and I awoke ready to tour the Reichstag building, visit the Neue Synagoge, go to the holocaust museum, and check out a few more squares. When we got ourselves to the center of Berlin we immediately started for the Holocaust Museum. Unfortunately the museum, to which entrance was free, was closed. I was heartbroken. But we decided not to dwell on that fact and just move on. So we made our way through the city visiting famous squares and tiny neighborhoods: Potsdamer Platz, Gendarmen-markt, and Hackeshe Hofe. Each place was so different. They were little pockets of surprises. It was nice to walk around, but it was freezing outside and drizzling the whole time. Marie and I darted into each building we could to bask in a bit of warmth, but eventually we would find ourselves outside again exposed to the elements.


My favorite building in all of Berlin:Rotes Rathaus. Such a rad color.

Marie who was hungry, wet, and tired.

After being cold, wet, and tired, we treated ourselves to a nice lunch at (ironically) an Italian restaurant. From there we decided to go to the Reichstag building so we could tour the dome. As we walked around the corner our draws dropped. the line. was. so. long. But, more than anything I wanted to be at the top of the dome looking out into the city and then into the parliament room. So we got in line. At the back of the line we started talking about how crazy were we for standing in this weather just to get to the top of a dome. The only thing both of us wanted to do at that point was be in the warm train or in our warm beds. So, laughing at our silly determination we took this picture which says, "why are we standing here?"

If only we knew that two and a half hours later we would still be in line. Not only would we still be in line, but just a few feet away from the door. And if only we knew that we would never get to walk in the top of the dome because we would have to leave and catch our train. And because we would be in line for so long we wouldn’t have time to visit the Neue Synagoge. How tragic. The next time I go to Berlin you get bet on the first thing I will do. I’m getting in line because I will stand in the dome of the Reichstag building.


This is Marie and I before we got in line. Notice the smiles.

And now Marie's smile is absolutely gone as she has been standing in line for over an hour. Check out the other half of the line in the pic below.

But before we headed home we had just a few minutes to see one last thing.

Just outside the train station was the Memorial Church which is a church that was destroyed during World War 2 and now stands as a reminder of the affects of war. Marie and I managed to see the church which made the up for the rest of the day. The church was amazing. If you have some time look up some more pictures of the church on google. Marie and I were sad to leave Berlin, but ready to be home again. And so many more adventures awaited us.

No comments:

Post a Comment